Sunday, January 22, 2012

Creamy potato soup


I love snow.  I love the kind of snow we get here in Bellingham - a few inches and a few days of mild inconvenience followed by 50 degree weather and all the snow melts. Perfect! I feel like I get my dose of cold and pretty snow, but without spending months on end tromping through slush and ice. Here is our house on the first day as the snow came down.


This week's challenge was soup, which seemed perfect for the weather.  That being said, along with the snow came a certain amount of laziness; that and we had lots of left overs so cooking wasn't necessary for most of our meals this week. I have a huge bag of potatoes that need to be used to potato soup seemed like a no brainer.  
All too often I feel like potato soup is bland so I searched for a recipe that had some serious spice.  I came across a recipe that turned out to be absolutely delicious!  In order to combat the sometimes meh potato soup, this one had Worcestershire, mustard powder, allspice, celery seed, thyme, seasoning salt, white wine, cayenne, and boullion powder. Here is the recipe I (mostly) followed


A dollop of sour cream and chives on top, and Andrew and I were in heaven.

The Giants/49ers game was on and about to head in to overtime so we had our feast in the living room. 


We complimented the soup with a ciabatta roll and ceasar salad.  Overall, a huge win. I can't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. I like my standard potato soup recipe, but I also have a bag of potatoes lazing about my kitchen, so I think I'll have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete