Friday, June 29, 2012

Week 24: Berries - Mixed Berry Pie

I've had more strawberries in my house over last few weeks that I can even tell you. They are perfectly in season and they are SO good this year.  So good, in fact, that I have been unable to keep them around long enough to cook with them as I just eat them up too fast!  So, I decided for my berry challenge, to use some frozen mixed berries I had in the freezer that needed to be used.  I present: Mixed Berry Pie.  Maybe not all that inventive, but who the heck cares when it is delicious?!


I mixed about 5 cups of berries with 1/2 cup sugar and 3T corn starch.  The cornstarch is in lieu of tapioca, which I just don't keep around the house much, but will act similarly by thickening the berry juices.




Ever looking for a way to speed things along, I used some Pillsbury dough I already had in the fridge.  I never touch the store brand ones - they just simply are NOT as good.  But I've found the Pillsbury brand to be darn near as good as homemade. 


I let the corn starch and sugar sit on the berries for about 20 minutes.  This let the berries defrost and also gave the dry goods get soupy and, with frequent stirring, covered all the berries. 


I baked it at 425 for about 15 minutes, then turned down the heat to about 350 and cooked it for another 40 minutes.  It smells DELICIOUS.  My original plan was to give it to my dear friend as a house warming present (she and her family just moved in a few blocks away from us! yay!) but to be honest, I'm not sure I can wait till I see her on Sunday to dive into it.  I might just have to make a different treat for her... 


No comments:

Post a Comment