Sunday, June 17, 2012

Week 22: Pastry - Cheese Danishes

I love cheese Danishes. I want to eat them all the time. I've never tried making them myself so I decided to be brave.


The cooks illustrated recipe for the filling was so simple (just cream cheese and sugar) i couldn't believe it. I like the cheese filling to be kinda fluffy so I sought out another recipe and ended up using Ina Garten's Cheese Danishthat used egg yolks to puff up the filing a bit. I also substituted lime for the lemon just because that is what I had on-hand.



After making the filling I rolled out the pastry dough to about a 16x16" square then with a sharp knife cut into 16 squares.




Each square got a dollop of filling.



The process of then wrapping two opposite corners over the filling was messy and I didn't get a picture of it, but I tried two methods and neither worked so well. I tried a twisting method and a squishing method. I read somewhere that I should score the dough and use and egg wash to get the two ends to stick together and I would try that next time. Although the ends came apart as the dough and filling rose, it as easy to lightly smoosh it back down as I moved them to the cooling rack.



While still warm I brushed a light glaze over them and once fully cooled I did the drizzle of frosting over the top.




These were amazing and really quite easy to make. I think these would be a huge hit to bring to a brunch. I'd also love to try other fillings either separate or mixed with the cheese.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment