Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Week 19: Black and White - Stripes and Pinwheel Cookies

Vanilla and chocolate sugar cookies fit the bill for this challenge.  I found a picture of these cute stripped cookies and decided to give it a go. 


I made a large batch of sugar cookies.


Next I separated the dough in half and mixed in cocoa powder with half to make it chocolate flavored.  


I rolled out the dough of each flavor.



Then I used a rectangular tupperware to cut out each type so I could stack them.




One recipe I read called for the use of an egg white wash to get the layers to stick together so I applied the egg whites to the choclate and started to peel the vanilla layer in order to apply it on top.  As you can see, there was a major tare when I tried to remove it cause I made the mistake of not flouring my surface enough when I rolled it out.  


I then sliced into columns and stacked them up (egg wash between each layer as I put them together)!


I sliced and baked them! The first batch wasn't totally pretty, but the subsequent batches turned out gorgeous. 


With the scraps of dough that were left, I rerolled it all out and followed the same egg wash proceedure to layer the dough.  Then, instead of the stacking I rolled it all up to make pinwheels.


They turned out so pretty!!! And very tasty too.


No comments:

Post a Comment