Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Week 17: Layered - P.O.S. Pie

We are trying to lay off the sweets so I made a potato, onion, spinach (POS) pie for the layered challenge. 


I started with garlic to mix with the spinach. 


What I should have started first is the caramelized onions.  I've never made them before and they are easy and delicious, but they do take at least 30 minutes to make.  I also should have made about 3x as much.  They really cook down. 


Once the garlic had browned, I cooked a ton of spinach.  Again, I could have cooked twice as much since it cooks down so much. 


I sliced and boiled potatoes and they were the first layer in my pie.


A few clumps of goat cheese and salt and pepper went down next. 


I over shot on how much potatoes so I added another layer next.


While the onions cooked the spinach cooled.  I added the spinach next...


then more goat cheese.


Here are the onions almost fully caramelized.


I added those on top and got ready to top it all off. 


I used puff pastry rather than pie dough and it cooked up fluffy and wonderful.


I put a heart on top since I love to cook and I love my life!


The layers were visible and it was quite tasty.  I should have added more flavorful ingredients.  It was a little bland overall.  More caramelized onions, more seasoning on the potatoes, and perhaps some more complexity with an additional cheese (Parmesan?) would have done the trick.  



No comments:

Post a Comment