Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 6: Elegant - Elegant as Sh*t White Trash Bars

OK, so I wasn't particularly inspired by the Brazilian cooking challenge this week. Well, the same goes for the baking challenge. "Elegant" did not exactly fill me with excitement. I watched to see what other people were posting and I noticed a theme - adding silver or pearl balls to normal items to make them "elegant". Ha. It cracked me up so I went about hunting down the most trashy, ridiculous recipe I could find. I give you Elegant as Sh*t White Trash Bars


You begin with 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers and crumble them up into a greased 13x9 pan.


On top, I you drizzle 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk. 


In the 13x9 you mix it all up with a 16oz bag of some kind of toffee/chocolate crumbles - Heath or Skor perhaps. Press it back into the pan and bake for 15-20mins - or until it is hot a little bubbly. Once it cools completely, the recipe calls for a whole tub of vanilla frosting. WHaaaaaaat? I dislike (if I am being kind) store bought tub frosting.  So, this is where my "elegant" part comes in... I made butter frosting with Bailey's instead of milk to make a wonderfully creamy and rich frosting.


Then, to top it all off and make it super classy and elegant: pearl balls! 


I cut the first few bars into 2"x2" squares and all four of us just about puked upon trying to eat the whole bar.  Don't get me wrong, they are delicious - really, surprisingly good. But, the 1"x1" nugget sized bars were far more palatable. Be prepared for immediate onset of diabetes - I don't guarantee it, but it would not surprise me at all.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I also noticed that trend of the pearlized sprinkles, but to be fair, it's one of the first things that came to mind when I heard the theme and I wasn't going to change it! Nice spin on the challenge. Your post definitely gave me a laugh!

    ReplyDelete